Saturday, March 24, 2007

I Live a Life of Superstition and Jinxing

Last night I was so proudly telling my boyfriend that I had not been horribly sick in such a long time, and that that was rather odd because I usually catch some sort of bug at least once a year, and I take that opportunity to be a big baby about it and complain about everything. After informing him of this, I proceeded to knock on my desk -my wood desk- because I am superstitious in ways, and I did not want to jinx my healthy state of being.

I have reason to be superstitious, you see. About a month ago my dear friend was talking about getting a kink in her neck. I decided to mention that I had never gotten a kink in my neck and I thought it looked pretty funny when she showed up to school with her head tilted to one side. I did not find the need to knock on any wood products.
I woke up the very next morning with a kink in my neck.
My very first ever neck-kink. I spent 3 days not being able to look to the right without feeling like I was being stabbed in the neck with a very sharp knife. I no longer think it's funny when people come to school with tilted heads.

Now I am doubting the classification of particle board as wood. Because I woke up deathly ill this morning. Deathly ill and feeling rather dehydrated. Trying to fix this dehydration issue led me to discover that I wasn't even able to hold down water. Not even for a minute. So after getting rid of this obviously unneeded sip of water, I went into the living room and curled up in a ball of pain. My mom asked if i was okay, I said no. And then I fell asleep.
I woke up feeling better. I drank some water. And waited. And then I thanked my stomach for letting me replenish my cells. I spent the rest of the day sitting and eating toast and crackers.

My family had pizza for supper. I did not. My mom didn't think it was a good idea. I was angry, until I found the superfries. My mom said superfries should be fine, and since there really weren't that many left, I should just make the rest of the bag. I told her that I wouldn't be eating them all, because I was still feeling fairly sick. When they got out of the oven, I inhaled every last fry crumb without hesitation. Because superfries are just that good. I don't care if I stay up all night tossing fries, because now I am satisfied.


Do you consider yourself to be a superstitious person? Have you ever jinxed yourself?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was a blog...a good blog haha. thank you for not making fun of me anymore, though im sorry it had to be done that way...
ps: i hope you get better!!!!
love,
me. hah

Anonymous said...

Aaaah sickness.

I always get sick when important events approach.

a) my audition for the musical
b) the taking back sunday concert
c) the musical last year

etc. etc. etc.

ew fries.

and yes i am superstitious. why? no clue. i also have no clue why i have decided to type in all lower case.

Anonymous said...

I always worry about my stomach being sick, as like.. the slightest thought or anxiety can upset it. :( I so far have found no supersticious ways of averting said malady, except for maybe kisses, because I didn't feel sick after those. But yeahh.. I am superstitious.. turn in circles 3 times if you're lost in the woods, tap iron if you feel like you're being followed, cross myself if I feel like im being hexed at. :P And I think I have been hexed before, it was unpleasant! haha. But I loved this blog, very much. I love all your blogs. <3

Anonymous said...

I always knock on wood when needed. Especially when my dad was in India when I'd say something about him not getting sick which wasn't often.

I want french fries. I'm so mad I had gone so long without getting sick and now I am. As soon as I woke up this morning the throat the ichiness in the throat. ugh.

Hope you get better soon!! being sick sucks.