Sunday, March 11, 2007

Living Without Regrets

This is a blog I posted on myspace in October, at around 3 in the morning. I normally wouldnt mention the time of posting, but it ties into this one. Enjoy.

So I was reading this survey that asked "If you could go back in time what would you change?"
This question.. when your mind thinks its 4 in the morning... really makes you think. Because my answer to that is.. absolutely nothing. Yes, that's right. This whole living without regrets thing is starting to make sense to me. I think thats because I have this underlying layer of happiness all the time now. Yeah, things make me sad, and I'm never at a loss for things to complain about. But still.. I'm always happy.
And I think the way you feel at the exact moment that someone asks you that question really effects your answer. I guess it also has something to do with whether or not you think everything is connected. Like choosing a bagel for breakfast instead of cereal somehow caused you to trip in the hall at lunch (which is a fairly lame example on my part.. but i think that gets the point across...) So assuming that you believe this theory (which I think i do..) and assuming you're generally happy at the moment.. your answer would probably be something like mine. Nothing. Because obviously all of those stupid things in your past stacked up and made something awesome that you wouldnt give up for the world. You couldnt bare to risk losing the situation you are in at that very moment in exchange for patching something up that was probably long forgotten.
Now, still assuming you believe in the theory, but instead of happy, you're depressed, or mad. Chances are you're regretting a lot of things. You're thinking that if you just did one thing differently, your life would be perfect. Everything would have fallen into place like it was supposed to and you wouldnt be sitting there depressed, regretting every stupid mistake of your past.
But the thing about that is... the happy people were once depressed too. They had regrets. But then something happened. Something that made them so happy that they realized that regretting things in your past is pointless. And in my half-asleep state of mind right now, i'm going to say the thing that made me so mad not so long ago. And that would be.. Live with no regrets. You can curse your past as much as you want, but thats not going to change anything. Live in the moment, work for happiness, and do what you think is right.
But now that I'm sounding like an over dramatic inspirational speaker, this blog will come to an end. You have now all gotten a taste of the sleepy steph who thinks way too much. Congratulations.

No comments: